Department of Athletics
Dear Parents and Student Athletes,
New York State Regulations require that all interscholastic athletes have medical clearance before they are permitted to engage in any practice or contest. There are two parts to the clearance process:
History: Before each athletic season, the Medical History Update must be completed. This is part of the Athletic Participation Form (the legal-sized green form)
Physical Examination: A physical exam on record performed sometime during the past 12 month period. Your child’s annual check-up with his/her own health care provider is the best and preferred way to satisfy this requirement.
This examination can be documented in one of two ways:
Ideally, your private health care provider will complete the Byram Hills Health Appraisal Form.
As an alternative, your doctor’s personal form will be accepted, provided it documents specifically that your child is cleared for Sports.
Frequently Asked Questions about the Sports Physical:
1. My child had his annual physical examination around the time of his birthday, in November. Does he need another one to participate in a spring sport? The physical exam is valid (and will be for 12 months, through next November). An Athletic Participation Form with the Medical History Update must be completed.
2. How can I get my child cleared if my insurance company only permits one check-up per year? Your child’s previous physical examination is still valid, provided it was performed during the past 12 months. Again, the Athletic Participation Form with the Medical History Update must be completed.
3. My child was cleared for fall sports and now wants to play a spring sport. Is he/she automatically cleared? No. The previous physical examination is valid for spring clearance only if it was performed within 12 months of the start of the spring sports practice. As long as the physical was valid when the season started, the physical is valid until the end of that season. It will need to be updated before the next season begins. An Athletic Participation Form with the Medical History Update must be completed.
4. How can my child be cleared if his/her health care provider refuses to use the Byram Hills form? The health care provider’s personal form will suffice, provided that it states that your child is cleared for all sports. As above, the Athletic Participation Form with the Medical History Update must be completed.
5. My child has not had a check-up in the past 12 months. How can he or she be cleared? Annually, in the spring, the school district will provide sports physicals for those who are unable to obtain one.